Children’s Health Ireland informed of hip surgery concerns in 2023, Taoiseach says

News2 days ago release CyberOracle
198 0

The Department of Health was notified of concerns around unnecessary child surgeries more than seven months after a protected disclosure was made within Children’s Health Ireland, the Taoiseach has said.

The Dáil heard on Tuesday that an audit of paediatric hip dysplasia surgeries at Children’s Health Ireland (CHI) hospitals found that hundreds of children operated on between 2021 and 2023 did not meet the threshold for the procedure.

It had previously heard that 79 per cent of those operated on at National Orthopaedic Hospital Cappagh and 60% per cent of those at Temple Street did not meet the threshold for surgery in that time frame.

Taoiseach Micheál Martin told the Dáil that concerns were raised under a protected disclosure to CHI, which is primarily funded by the HSE, in September 2023.

He said the Department of Health was informed months later, in May 2024.

Sinn Féin leader Mary Lou McDonald has questioned why it took almost a year from then for parents to be formally…



We’ve summarized this news for a quick read. If you’re interested, you can read the full article here:

Children’s Health Ireland informed of hip surgery concerns in 2023, Taoiseach says
Breakingnews.ie

Related posts

Welcome to Eircle

This is a handy web directory specially designed for newcomers to Ireland.If you find this site helpful, share it with your friends!