The Taoiseach has said he is “deeply saddened” by the death of jockey Michael O’Sullivan.
The 24-year-old died as a result of the injuries he suffered in a fall at Thurles on February 6th, the Irish Horseracing Regulatory Board announced on Sunday.
The Cork man had been riding Wee Charlie for trainer Gerard O’Leary and was one of three fallers at the final fence in the two-mile Racing Again February 20th Handicap Chase.
In a post on X, Micheal Martin said: “Deeply saddened to learn of the tragic death of jockey Michael O’Sullivan. A talented rider who inspired many.
“My sincere sympathies go to Michael’s family, his friends and colleagues in the racing world.”
Tánaiste and Fine Gael leader Simon Harris also posted: “Such sad news this morning. I know people across our country are thinking of the family of Michael O’Sullivan this morning and of the wider racing family.
“An incredible talent taken so young.
“Keeping his family…